Sunday, September 30, 2012

Speed Training Adjustments

Since the last 5k (time 27:30) I've made some adjustments to my speed training. Before I was doing the typical tempo or speed work (speed intervals) only to build speed. For the past two weeks I have incorporated short timed runs  in lieu of one easy run.

A running coach and friend of mine told me that if I wanted to make my PR, I needed to focus more on my short distance training runs. Her advice was to begin with one-milers at my fastest speed twice a week then build up two miles in two weeks and so on/

The results have good so far. After 3 weeks of doing this an increase in my natural pace on easy and long runs. I have also be running with my new running group mates more frequently. Many of them are faster runners which has really help me push for a swifter pace on tempo and faster finish run days.  I am currently 6 days out from my next 5k so hopefully I'll reap great benefits from the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment