Sunday, August 19, 2012

Training Solo: Tips for Staying Motivated

Its always great to train for an event or get your daily exercise with a partner. But if you are like me your location or schedule may not lend itself to opportunities to train with others. If you have run long enough you know that some days its harder to find the drive to lace up and get out the door. So in the midst of a long run on a unmotivated morning I was inspired to share my tips on training solo.

Check your play list: I try to keep my play list on my phone updated with upbeat songs. Listening to the same songs for too long can throw you into a funk when you are solo on the road. Different beats and rhythms help me to speed up or pace myself accordingly. Currently I'm jamming to "Starships" by Nikki Minaj, "Hurt Somebody" by Akon, and "Tambourine" by Eve.

Get a change of scenery: Not only do the same old songs dampen my mood, but so does running in the same locations. A fresh change of scenery's can inspire you. I am lucky enough to have access to several spot to run along New River and Onslow Beach. If you do not have access to landmarks as scenic this, alternate between parks and trails in your area.

Hit the trail at a busy running time: Run during busier times at the park help me push myself beyond my comfort zone. Don't try to keep up with other people to the point that you hurt yourself. Try catching up one person at the time or find a runner with great form and take mental notes. Iron sharpens iron.

Keep your gear with you at all times: A busy work day can absorb your motivation to work out. Try packing your gym bag and bringing it into the office or building so you can't wiggle your way into an excuse and out of your sneakers.

Sign up for and event with a cause close to your heart: This has been one of my top sources of motivation since I moved to a new city. Causes dear to my heart include supporting military personnel and their families, education, and the Leukemia and Lymphoma society to name a few. There is nothing more inspiring that running for those who cant because of illness or injury. More over you get the opportunity to donate your time and money to help others.

Tell family and friends about your efforts: After a long day of work and PT my husband is too tired to get in a run with me. However, he's always my biggest cheerleader at events and offers encouragement when I've had a disappointing training run. I also let  my siblings, parents, and facebook friends know when I'm running. You'd be surprised how a motivational text, email, or phone call can boost your morale.

These are just a few tips that keep me going until I find a consistent running buddy. Hopefully they can be a help to you to. Till next time. Stay inspired and happy trails.

Lexx  Cieckieiwicz

No comments:

Post a Comment