Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Happy Trails and Healthy Travels

In light of my upcoming mini-birthday vacation I was inspired to share my personal tips on healthy traveling. Vacations are great but if you are not careful you can ruin a healthy routine and spend alot of money in the process. I firmly believe you can indulge without completely getting off track and going broke.

Plan your snacks ahead

One thing that can totally can consume your caloric day and your wallet are snacks. During road trips instead of buying sodas and chips at the gas stations I pack a small tote full of food. My tote includes apples, bananas, nuts, bottled water, low calorie or sugar free juice, and sports drinks. I also keep a freezer pack for my frozen goods and yogurt. Be sure to purchase goods that have no msg, are low in sodium, and no preservatives. I usually pack enough to bring enjoy while laying out at the beach.

Research your destination for places to workout.

If I'm traveling for more than two days I try make sure that I include exercise into my schedule.  I try to choose hotels with a fitness center, take a run on the beach, or find physical activities that are specific to my destination. For example, if your going to the beach or lake see if there are kayaking tours or paddle boarding. If you are traveling to the mountains look into hiking. These things can make your trip memorable and offer great photo ops.

Pack Smart

If you are on any medications be sure to bring them with you. I also bring my supplements, particularly papaya and acidophilus. Papaya and acidophilius are great for digestion and upset stomach. Vacations are a great time to dine out but with a variety of different food comes increased opportunities for an upset stomach. I also make sure a pack my sunscreen, workout gear, and any other skin care products I need.


These tips have saved me time and money. Hopefully they can work for you. Stay inspired, happy trails, and healthy travels.

Lexx Cieckiewicz
S.I.R.G.


No comments:

Post a Comment