Sunday, November 4, 2012

Runner on a budget: Gear I love

My new pre-dawn run obession and seasonal temperature change has prompted me to share my favorite fall gear for less. Yes, the big name brands come with high quality but most of the time they also come with a higher price. My thought is way pay $60 for something when I can be 30 percent less and still have good quality.

The first item on my budget list is a headlamp for early morning or late evening runs. The local sporting good chain (rhyming with six) prices headlamps from $9.99-$69.99. However, I got the Coleman brand in the sporting sections at Walmart for $7.88, saving me anywhere from $2.11-$62.11. The one I purchased comes with batteries and a lifetime guarantee on the LED lights.

The next items I love are dri-fit longsleeve shirts and long sleeve compression shirts.  I love these for the fall and winter because they absorb sweat really well and keep you warm without having to wear a jacket.Again Walmart and Marshalls have been my saving grace. Both stores carry Starter brand, but  be sure to check the men's section, ladies. For the compression shirts you want to make sure you get at least one size larger than you actually wear. I made that mistake last year by buying a small and I nearly squeezed myself to pieces.

Going to either WallyWorld(Walmart) or Marshalls I spend around $12.00 on the tops and each retailer carries a decent color selection. The big name sporting good stores prices the tops anywhere from $30-$120.  Some would argue that the more expensive brands have a better quality or more features but I have had one of my tops for over a year and its been washed quite frequently. Despite this my tops have not worn thin, ripped, faded, or shrank. 


One last money saving tip that's helped me, is store browsing and Amazon shopping. I personally have strict rule about buying shoes, which is trying them on before buying. Asics are my absolute favorite, and after getting a list of the best shoes for my foot type from Runners World.com I knew I had to get the Blur 33's. The retail price on the list and in the stores in my area was between $85-$95. While this is not expensive, every dollar counts when you're on a budget. I found the same shoe on Amazon.com for $69, shipping included.

In closing if you have the extra money to spend on expensive gear do it. I've indulged in my share of higher end running accessories from time to time. However, if your looking to indulge without breaking the bank hopefully some of my methods will be helpful to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment