Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Faster Friends: Found a Good Running Buddy


As I've mentioned in some of past post, I 've been on the hunt for a good group of runners and a running buddy. The past two months of my journey in Jacksonville have finally  led me to two groups of runners that I have enjoyed meeting and befriending. These groups are the Women's Running Club of Jacksonville and Asphalt Junkies. Both groups have runners with a variety of ability levels.

Out of the groups I have found a friend who is patient enough to allow my walk breaks but steady and fast enough to push me beyond my comfort zone.  When looking for a choosing a friend to run with I would suggest, choosing someone with similar goals and a little more experience. When you have similar goals you and your partner will hold each other accountable for sticking to those goals.  For example, my partner and I struggled with hills in the last events we completed. Therefore, our goal is to incorporate hill repeats at least once a week. Since she is more experience she reminds of things to remember about my form, such as leaning forward going uphill and leaning slightly back going down.


One of my morning buddies a predawn run.
The next benefit of finding a good partner is schedule flexibility. My partner and I are able to accommodate each others schedules for the most part. As member of the both groups we  can post runs on the group sites. However, if no else can make the times we are still consistent  about calling each other and meeting to achieve are mutual training goals.

I've found that the best aspect of having a faster partner is just having someone to motivate you when all you want to do is walk.  Its not just about having a person be your personal drill instructor, but having them there is motivation to not slow down, or to push harder when your tempo runs get tough.

Hitting the pavement with other motivated runners is great but can be intimated when everyone is faster and more experienced. So be sure to be open, talk to others to see what goals you have in common, and don't be afraid to link up with a friend with a little more speed so that you can meet your goals. Remember iron sharpens iron. Happy Training!



No comments:

Post a Comment