Sunday, December 2, 2012

Running for Two

So its been quite some time since I have updated the blog. My apologies to all my friends and readers. Three weeks ago I found out we  (my husband and I) were having a baby. The news came with much excitement and with some physical changes.

I knew that pregnancy would make me tired but I didn't realize how much it would affect my running. At my around nine weeks my pace has definitely slowed. Part of this is due to hormonal changes but the other part is because my eating is not what it was a month ago. Truthfully I haven't been eating nearly as many veggies but and eating out more carbs than normal because of the morning sickness. As  a result feel heavy when I run. My brain is saying move faster but my legs aren't listening.

Despite my urge to lay down, I've managed to keep the fitness train moving. In doing so I've been able to combat some of my morning/ afternoon nausea and some of the exhaustion associated with it. While I still have more growing and changing to do as running mama to be there are a few things that I do to keep myself motivated and encouraged on the pavement.
  1. Run with friends- running with my group has motivated me to get out and run when sleep is calling me.
  2. Listen to my body- I've been a little discouraged because I'm moving slower but my motto new  is better slow than not at all. If I feel good I push, if I'm tired I shuffle or walk  until I reach my time or distance goal for the day. 
  3. Keep my routine fresh - More than before I try to incorporate different group exercise classes and use exercise on demand videos to keep my mind motivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment